Call Now (214) 551-9391


Forming a New Band: Do I Really Need an Entertainment Attorney?

Posted by Charles L. Woods | Oct 11, 2019 | 0 Comments

A lot of bands think that unless they are signing with a record label there's really no reason to have an attorney. If you're waiting for that big record deal you might be waiting a while. In today's digital streaming world there just aren't many artists being signed to labels.
How can an entertainment/music lawyer help out?
You might consider a consultation if:
  • You need to formalize your band agreement (band agreements were discussed in an earlier post)
  • You need to register your trademarks (band logo, band name) or copyrights (songs, recordings)
  • You need help affiliating with BMI, ASCAP, SESAC, or Sound Exchange - these are performance rights organizations (PRO) which assists in the collection and distribution of royalties
  • Someone else is using your band name
  • Someone is using your song without your permission
  • You perform at weddings and need a performance contract
  • You have a band member quit or fired and you need an exit/termination agreement
  • You are the co-writer on a song and you want the ability to exploit (use) the song
The above are just a few of the MANY scenarios that you might want to consult a Texas Entertainment Lawyer about.

About the Author

Charles L. Woods

Charles Lindy Woods (Woody)  Lindy Woods attended Baylor University earning a business degree in finance and insurance.  Initially working in the Savings and Loan Industry, Lindy earned his MBA in the evenings from Texas A&M, Commerce. He earned his law degree from the University of Tulsa.  He i...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment


Avvo - Rate your Lawyer. Get Free Legal Advice. William A. Pigg PLLC, Attorneys & Lawyers, Dallas, TX